Saturday, January 7, 2012

Setting My Goals For 2012

Seven days in to 2012 and I'm finally sitting down to write some goals for the year. I've been working days these past couple of weeks and it's thrown my schedule off more than I had expected. I very much enjoy having the evenings with my girl but my sleep has not been good and my mornings are so rushed that they start my day off a bit stressed. I haven't prioritized writing or anything else that I do to keep myself in balance. Not the best start to the new year but here I sit about to change this situation.

For the entirety of 2011 I felt pulled between my photography and my writing. I think it may have been due to the fact that I didn't have any clear goals set for the year for either of them. It felt really good this past March to get the email that lead to my first short story submission being chosen for an anthology. Many thanks to my awesome editor and friend, Heather, for helping me with the story and talking me through some things about it. I learned quite a bit in refining the raw piece of work I originally sent her way. I very much look forward to holding the book in my hand and seeing my name as a listed author. I really think that the idea that I am truly a writer will sink in once this happens.

In 2012 I would like to experience that euphoria of being published again. This means I need to start writing and submitting more short stories and/or get to working on a book. If I'm being completely honest with myself, I will more likely work on more short stories and submit them while slowly working on a book. The book may be a year or so out. Or not. I feel myself slowly getting past the fears I have around writing it so it may be sooner rather than later.

As far as my photography goes this year, I'd like to...I'm really not sure what I'd like to do with it at this point. My confidence in my abilities has fallen again. I am my own worst critic, to say the least. Plus, I can't seem to find my “style”. Perhaps that's what I should do this year. Play around with it and find my style. I am participating in another 365 day photo project with some family members on Flickr and hope to actually finish it this time. It's my third attempt at this project. An idea just popped into my head as I finished that last sentence. Projects within the project. They would certainly help me to find my style.

My big goal this year is to make it to Burning Man and take tons of photos while there. I am fascinated by this intentional community and am excited beyond measure to participate in it this year with my girl and her friends. I don't want to make any predictions about this adventure nor any plans beyond just getting there so that I can stay completely open to the experience.

This year will also be the year where I start taking better care of my physical body. My girl and I are about to embark on a juice fast detox before eating a more plant based, whole food diet. We've been watching lots of documentaries on the American food industry and have come to learn that most of the foods found in the grocery store are so over processed that they no longer contain the nutrients that came with the original source of the food. No wonder we're the most drugged society in history. Our eating habits affect much more than our physical bodies. Poor nutrition also affects our mental and emotional states. I have so much to say about this but for now, I'm going to just leave it here. If you're curious about it, I highly recommend watching Forks OverKnives and Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. Be forewarned, there are some disturbing slaughterhouse scenes in Forks Over Knives. People should know what happens in those places though. It's a horrible environment for not only the animals being slaughtered but also the people working in those places. There are other ways to be an omnivore. Local ranches who raise their cattle on grass and practice humane ways of slaughter (I realize that's a bit of an oxymoron.) are great places to buy meat. Much better then the stuff you get in the grocery store. Stepping of my soapbox now, I'll just end with the request to educate yourselves about the food you eat. It's important on so many levels.

To sum up this years goals I, of course, must put things in list form.

My goals for 2012
  1. Write and submit at least 5 short stories.
  2. Finish the 365 day photo project and include projects within the project in an attempt to find my “style”.
  3. Attend and fully experience Burning Man!
  4. Eat healthier and exercise at least 3 times a week.

There you have it. Or, rather, there I have it. My goals for 2012. Attainable goals and “good for me” goals. May this year be even better then the last!

4 comments:

  1. That's a great list, concise and actionable. Well done. I have faith that you can kick ass on that list and do even more. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kyle!! Means a lot coming from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been fascinated with Burning Man for a while and would LOVE to go and experience it (not likely but one can dream...). I hope you make it there, I'd love to read about your experiences and thoughts!

    Great and attainable goals! Best wishes in this new year :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can bet I'll be writing about them!

    Best wishes to you, as well!

    ReplyDelete