Monday, January 21, 2013

Constant Buzz

I knew from the start that running a Kickstarter campaign was going to be hard work. Constantly contacting as many people as you possibly can is not as easy as it sounds. There was a time when social networking sites made it easy but now, not so much. Not only do I post the link in a bunch of places daily but I've also begun privately messaging and emailing people who may or may not be seeing my daily posts. This project really is a passion of mine so I really want to do as much as I possibly can to see it through.

Five days into it and I'm mentally exhausted. My brain won't stop trying to figure out something new to try to drum up more backers. It also won't stop worrying about what might happen if it doesn't fund. Where would I go from there? Do I have a plan B?

I don't want to focus on the "what-ifs" right now, though. I want to stay focused on today and the possibilities. I really need a break but I don't want to let up, either. Any momentum slow down scares me a wee bit. I just have to keep reminding myself that if it's meant to be, it'll be.

8 comments:

  1. I just want to take the opportunity to say that whether or not the entire project funds through Kickstarter, it's my intent to fulfill my own pledge. I am going to go out on a limb here and say that I bet there are several, possibly many, others who would agree. The all-or-nothing aspect is a feature of Kickstarter, but it has nothing to do with whether or not we support the project.

    Also, I'm watching you for inspiration. I'm launching my brand new professional singer website tomorrow night, getting a big write-up in the local paper Friday, and singing a really big concert Saturday here in town. I have been thinking about how Kickstarter might help me do some things that could reach a wider audience - make an EP, for instance.

    And yes, social networking sites are less and less helpful to those of us publicizing our events and projects through them. I'm finding that as well.

    So - just know that your project provides inspiration to those of us who want to see it go; and who want to find the courage to do our own Kickstarter projects as well. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I did a study of Kickstarter projects in a single American city and found out a few really interesting things.

    -- The average ask was about $1100.
    -- Money isn't raised steadily. Most of the projects got 60% or more of their funding in the last few days before the deadline.

    There is a way to get around the all-or-nothing aspect of Kickstarter (if they still allow this): Set the fundraising goal at $1. Then? Whatever you get, you get. There's no chance of missing the funding goal and returning the money.

    The reason the all-or-nothing is powerful is based on game theory -- people are more likely to give if you can tell them, "hey, look at all we raised, but we won't get a dime if we don't meet X goal by Y day."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lily! Yes! There will definitely be a "final push" and I hope it is fruitful. We shall see!

      Delete
  3. Sometimes you have to trust that the momentum you've built will, in turn, develop it's own momentum, allowing you to take your foot off the pedal.

    Your project will succeed, no matter what form it does so in. You've got a hell of a lot of people behind you. And how very cool is that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this post. I'm in the middle of a big project that is taking all my energy and funds and this was helpful to read. You've got the momentum going. People are hearing about it. Like me. :) Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Thank you! Good luck to you, as well!

      Delete