Wednesday, May 15, 2013

New Jersey and Massachusetts

Long Branch, NJ
The last weekend of my week long travel for the project was spent traveling from New York to New Jersey and up into Massachusetts. On my way to New Jersey I was able to catch a glimpse of NYC and of Lady Liberty, which was pretty awesome, even though very brief. Extra time to "see the sights" was not built in to my itinerary so any glimpse of the sights was bonus for me on this trip.

Not knowing what traffic would be like driving off of Long Island, I gave myself extra time for the drive from Long Island to Long Branch, New Jersey. As it turned out, there wasn't much traffic so I made it to Long Branch with a couple of hours to spare. After stopping at a local diner for breakfast, I then headed to the ocean. It was the first time in a week that I had a moment to just sit and breathe. Water is a natural healing and grounding place for me. Anytime I'm feeling out of sorts, I'm drawn to water. It was nice to be able to sit on the beach and listen to the waves.

Lake Pleasant, MA
After the shoot in Long Branch I headed to Florence, Massachusetts, which is in the Northampton area.  Northampton is an adorable little town, by the way. I would love to go back for a visit and walk around the downtown area. Florence, the next town over, is also very cute. The shoot there took place on a beautiful farm with a creek behind it.

From Florence I drove to Millbury, Massachusetts to photograph an adorable young couple who live on the same property as a Kung Fu/Tai Chi studio. There were Buddha statues, a meditation corner and a beautiful pond. A great place for a photo shoot.

In the evening, I was able to spend a bit of time with a friend I haven't seen in close to 7 years. I also got to meet her partner and their toddler son, whom I've only seen in photographs on Facebook. Thanks to the generosity of one of the participants in Boston (and her roommates), I was able to crash on a couch Saturday night instead of spending close to $300 for a hotel room in Boston. Boston is awesome and beautiful but wicked crazy expensive.

Sunday morning I headed to Lake Pleasant, Massachusetts for a shoot next to the beautiful lake pictured above. How amazing would it be to wake up to this view every morning? It's a beautiful and not very well known lake with a 2 mile trail around it. I was lucky enough to be able to hike part way around it with one of the participants and her black lab, which was also a treat for me.

Boston, MA
My last shoot took place in Shrewsbury, Massachusetts in a beautiful park complete with a pond and hiking trails. Plus, I got to meet and photograph an adorable and very sweet Rottweiler named Ted. I swear his head was bigger then mine. 

After spending some time with the participant of the last shoot of the trip, I headed off to Boston Logan to catch my flight home. Thankfully, I managed to find a direct flight from Boston to Portland because at that point, I was ready to drop from exhaustion. Before falling asleep and shortly after take off, I snapped the photo on the right with my iPhone camera. I sure do love Boston. So much about it reminds me of Portland.

3 comments:

  1. The lakes here in Massachusetts are beautiful, I'll give us that. (Although I don't think of Boston as being lots like Portland, I must admit. I guess because Boston is sooo old school New England. I think of it as being a bit stodgier.)

    I'm glad you've had a successful trip around the country. This project is so cool, I'm glad it's being done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your travelogue - it's like a memoir of the shoot. Maybe a companion book to the photo project? (Not that I'm planning your life for you or anything.)

    ReplyDelete