Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Mid Move


As I type this post on my iPhone, I am sitting at a rest stop off the I-94 East in Minnesota. It's beautiful here, as you can see from the photograph above. I'm about mid way through my journey to the other side of the country at this point. I left Portland Sunday morning and have endured long days of driving but have been rewarded with beautiful scenery along the way.

Sunday morning's drive through the Gorge was accompanied by lots of tears, to say the least. All of the emotions that I had been holding on to poured out of my year ducts as I drove. Certain places I past brought back lots of memories that at first I thought I was saying goodbye to but later realized that I was taking them with me. Just because I'm leaving the place I've called home for the last 11 years doesn't mean I'm leaving the memories behind. They get to come with me as I make new ones and these places will always be here for me to travel back to both physically and mentally. 

A friend of mine asked me how I knew it was time for me to move away from Portland since I'd always felt I would never do so. The project has opened my world and my perspective on what I consider home to me. My world has expanded past Portland and Oregon since beginning work on the project. Traveling has become a form of healing for me, as well. So, there was a point that I came to several months ago where I began to feel the need to move on. After beginning to feel that need several other things began to happen. My connection with people from the East coast whom I now consider to be my friends and my reconnection with a past love all fell into place.

Reconnecting with my past love may seem sudden to some but our connection is intense and we have history so, honestly, there wasn't far to go. The Universe seemed to conspire to make everything fall into place. Places where our timing was very off in our past relationship have become perfectly aligned at this point. The past 5 years that we've spent apart have provided us with the growth we've needed to come back together and be even stronger as a couple. In all honesty, I never saw this coming. Which makes it so much more special.

My connection with fellow photographer, Syd London and her awesome partner Jay Toole has been such a gift. They are on the East coast and excited to welcome me there. Others whom I've made connections with through the project are excited to have me there, as well. I am looking forward to seeing what those friendships bring to our future. 

Most of my updates on this journey have been posted on my Facebook page. With the amount of driving I've been doing I've been pretty exhausted by the end of the day so I haven't made a lot of time to write. If you'd like to follow along over there, you're more then welcome to look me up and send a friend request. All I ask is that you send me a message with the request letting me know you're coming over there from here. I think this is the link: Facebook.com/Wendi.kali

Time to get back in the car and get some more miles under my tires!

6 comments:

  1. It's good to hear your voice :-) I'm really happy for you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendi, you are fabulous writer. I enjoy your blog and looking forward to reading more about your adventure and quest. Isn't traveling so much fun and awe-inspiring? I haven't done as much traveling as I would like, but there's still time. I'm not that old yet! Have fun and keep us posted. Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dee! There's plenty of time for you to travel! Get out there and see the world! (;

      Delete
  3. I am sure you know we are holding on to summer for you. I think it was 80 today. So you get colourful leaves, apple picking, and high temps for as long as they last.

    Safe journeys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't responded much, Wendi, but I've been following your journey avidly.
    I admire your bravery and your willingness to chase your happy.
    I wish you all the best. Feel everything you need to feel along the way--it's all a gift.

    ReplyDelete