Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Plan B?


I didn't realize it had been so long since I posted last. Just so you know, I made it back to Portland safe and sound. It was a good trip with only a couple of instances of snow. Yes. Snow in April. Montana and Idaho are crazy with their snow. They like it a lot, I guess.

My welcome back to the Pacific Northwest was wonderful thanks to family and friends, both new and old.. It was so good to see my son again. I gave him the biggest hug making him feel extra awkward. I can't figure out how I ended up raising a non-hugger. Well, actually, he is a hugger. He's just not as into it as I am. Anyway, I was so incredibly happy to see him and hang out again.

I surprised my 5 year-old Goddaughter when I went over to her house to pick up her Mom for a coffee and catch up session. We were trying to sneak out of the house with plans to make a time to hang out with the little one in the next few days but that didn't work. As I stood at the door waiting for her Mom to gather her things, suddenly I heard the pitter patter of 5 year-old feet running across the house to the living room where I was standing, trying to be quiet. The moment she saw me standing at the door she stopped in her tracks with a shocked look on her face. Then she smiled really big, yelled “WENDI!”, and jumped into my arms for a huge hug! It was awesome!

Just after arriving in the Pacific Northwest I received a text from my sister telling me my old studio apartment was open again. Moments after getting the text I excitedly sent a message to my old landlord asking her about my chances of renting it from her again. She was so happy to hear from me and so excited to rent to me again that she immediately cancelled all of the appointments she had to show it the next day and rented it to me on the spot. I signed the lease and moved in on May 1st. It was incredibly surreal.

On May 5th I started my new job as the shipping and receiving manager for a small shop here in the Portland area. It's been going well so far and the higher ups are impressed with the speed at which I pick things up. It's not rocket science and I've done this sort of things many times over so, for me, it's pretty easy to catch on. I'm not a big fan of the early morning hour that I have to get up but I do enjoy having the late afternoons/early evenings to do other things.

One of those other things has been working on getting into classes at the local community college to get on my way to applying for the Radiograpy program. Unfortunately, it's all a bit dependent on how it's all financed and today I received a bit of bad news in regards to just that. I'm about capped out on the amount of student loans I can take in my lifetime and I don't have enough left between what I've already taken out for my Bachelor's degree and the cap to make it all the way through the program. The moment I hung up the phone after receiving this news I immediately thought to myself, “Ok. Now what?”. What's plan 'B'? Alright, honestly, I thought those things after first yelling, "FUCK!" but I had to get it out before moving on.

So now, what is plan 'B'? I am, at the moment, unsure of the answer to that question. My wise, Life Coach Mom seems to sense a bigger plan unfolding. I just wish I knew what that plan was. My mind is bouncing between looking at scholarship applications to continue down that path, taking my photography to a level that would sustain me, writing/self publishing, and starting a new business walking dogs/pet sitting. One thing that I am sure of is my need to focus on finishing up my current photo project and getting the book out there. The move and all of my transitions have put the project on the back burner and it's time to bring it back to the front. I miss it.

On a side note: I've noticed lately that I haven't had the words to write. Until today. Until after receiving that phone call regarding financial aid at school. I'm not sure what to think about that, if anything, but it's interesting.

So, Universe? Where do I go from here? A bit of guidance would be fabulous, thank you.

8 comments:

  1. I don't know what your plan B is, but I also feel like there's a bigger plan awaiting. Might be you need to do some more water carrying and wood chopping as things unfold. Live a little ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. That's what I'm thinking. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Up until the point where you shared the financial aid news, I was thinking, "Wow...everything is really falling into place for her. That's awesome!" So perhaps you LCM is right - perhaps the school road block is a temporary set-back to help you focus on things already in motion. And perhaps through doing that, other opportunities will unfold. I have observed you manifest so much for yourself over the last few years. I have no doubt that whatever is supposed to come next for you, will come. My Nia guru has an awesome saying, "Turn down the frustration, and turn up the fascination." It has helped me get through tough spots, especially those "What now???" moments. <3 Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I have been working on turning down that frustration over the last year and it's paid off tremendously. It's one of the things that helps me to look at each new day as if it were a gift filled with so many opportunities and adventures. Your Nia guru is on to something there, for sure. :)

      Delete
  3. Brainstorm your way onward with Plan A....maybe just continuing with some online requisite courses for a little while...just a thought. I like this blog, it made me think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, there are many options, thankfully.

      Delete
  4. Wendi: I know that you spent a lot of time preparing for the Radiography program - what was it that drew you to this career? What aspect of it resonated with you? If this is the career for you, it will happen. This "blip" might be what you need to take the time to finish your book and look at what your calling really is. Sometimes, our calling isn't what we thought it was. I know, that's what happened for me. You also need some time to just be. Dee

    ReplyDelete