Saturday, November 3, 2012

Writing

I'm not sure where this image comes from. I like it.
This year I've decided to accept the challenge of participating in NaNoWriMo. It's National Novel Writing Month and it's all about writing a novel in 30 days. That's 50,000 words in 30 days. If you've ever written a story, or not honestly, you'll know just how crazy this is. It's a pretty steep challenge.

I think most participants write stories but I've decided to use it to start working on a memoir of sorts. My story. Everyone has one but not everyone writes it down for one reason or another.

Through blogging and online journals I've discovered the value in sharing your story. People who read my posts have emailed me or commented that they can somehow relate and they're glad they're not alone in those feelings. Because of this discovery, I've been wanting to work on a memoir.

It isn't about how I survived the wild after trekking out on my own or how I survived a bus crash in a third world country but it is about how I survived life itself. How I got to this time in my life where more and more things are starting to make sense, even though the rest of the world seems a bit crazy at the moment.

It's about how I came out, the way I move and present in the world, how I got to that point in my life where I figured out that living a miserable life that looks nothing like the life I wanted was just not worth it anymore. Throwing away a career and a way of life, namely being able to pay the bills and save a little. Not to mention the respect of a few people.

For this challenge, in order for me to hit the target of 50,000 words in 30 days I have to write an average of 1,667 words per day. The first day was a breeze. I pounded out over 1,700 words but the last two days were a bit more difficult, to say the least. I realized today that I'm bringing to my consciousness things I hadn't thought about in years. Things that I may or may not have worked through during the course of my life. Hard things.

So, the writing slowed. But, I'm not going to belittle myself for it. The fact is, I sat down to write at some point during each of the last 3 days. Writing is something I've missed more then anyone could ever imagine. Writing, for me, is like breathing. Sometimes each word is a breath, other days every other word is an inhalation and every other word is an exhalation. Then there are the days when every character is a breath because the flow is so quick and I just can't write fast enough to get the words out of my head and if I don't keep up with the words my world will end!

But, the most important thing is to write. No matter how many words, how much time I spend doing it, or whether or not I create a story. The most important thing is to write. 

4 comments:

  1. Just keep on writing, keep on writing, keep on writing. We can do this. I am going through fits and surges. Today I was spilling over with the story arch and ideas, but the writing felt stiff. I did it though, and I'm still on track. I have this feeling that when I get done, I won't have a novel, but a lot of stuff for the writing of a novel, and a bunch of research to do. Since I decided not to write a memoir, and my characters decided they weren't even born in the same decade as me, in order to finish it, I'll need to fill in a lot of blanks about what it was like to be born while I was in high school. But it sure is interesting.

    I took the challenge on because I want to be able to write full length books and this was a good way to get a feel for what it would take to make that happen. Working every day, making time, being focused. I don't know about you, but I can't get away from it. Even when I'm not at my keyboard, my head is spinning up ideas and working on dialog. And I'm dreaming about it at night.

    Just keep on writing, keep on writing, keep on writing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're doing an awesome job at keeping up with the goal, Kyle! I had good intentions at the start of the month, but my writing buddy and I have decided to just focus on sitting down to write every day. Neither of us have gotten very far with our word count and that had us both ready to throw in the towel. So, changing our focus helps.

      Delete
  2. Our brains must be linked up. I was just thinking today I need to make an actual, physical list that I can post somewhere visible with my priorities numerated, writing on top. I'm in an MFA program, and that helps. If I don't do the work, I don't get the degree that I've taken out loans to pay for. Having an accountability partner for the submission process helps, too. In the past four days, I've gotten three really quick rejections, which.....does not help the "Hurrah! Write!" surge, but still...plug along!

    ReplyDelete