Friday, October 11, 2013

Moved


Scarlett and I at Crane. Photo by Tracy Kali.
I've been in Massachusetts for just over a week now. Autumn in New England is gorgeous. The leaves are changing and the Autumn colors are amazing. I can't wait to get out with my camera and explore a bit.

The town where I now live is much smaller then Portland. The population here in 2010 was 13,175 so you can imagine the adjustment. Before I moved to Portland, though, I lived in Ashland, Oregon for a couple of years and the population at the time was around 19,000 so I've lived in a small town before. I really love small town living. What's nice about this place is there's a large city only about an hour away. Not that I'll be down there all that often, but it's nice knowing that it's there.

One of the really awesome perks to living here is the beach. We are about a 15 minute drive away from Crane Beach. In the winter they open it up to dogs and horses so we've been down to the beach with Scarlett a couple of times since I've been here. I can imagine spending some quiet time down there on the beach with my camera, my journal or a good book. I'm really looking forward to doing that.

This past week has been all about job hunting. I've had 3 staffing agency interviews and a few rejection letters from Liberty Mutual Insurance. I'm really hoping to find something within town that I can walk to but I'm not limiting myself. A walk to work would be ideal so I'm putting it out there into the Universe. I've applied for a couple of jobs here in town even though they're not in the accounting field. Honestly, I wouldn't mind not going back but I have it to fall back on so why not.

I've also made a connection with a local photographer who may use me as a second shooter at a wedding in May. We've made plans for me to observe her during a family shoot on the 26th of this month so I can see how she shoots and pick her brain on anything. She's been doing photography since the mid 1980's and is willing to teach what she knows, which is awesome. I'm always open to learning from other photographers. Specially those who are making their living as photographers. It's very inspiring to me. I can't wait to make it down to Brooklyn to spend some time with Syd London. That will be amazing.

I'm missing my Portland community quite a bit this week. I keep reminding myself that I was there for 11 years and it took the better part of those 11 years to build that community so it'll take time to build another one here in New England.

Next week will be all about finding a job, as well. Any good employment juju you can send my way would be much appreciated. Once I start getting a paycheck again I can refocus on the photo project, which is what I really want to be doing.

4 comments:

  1. Charmaine VerasammyOctober 14, 2013 at 8:02 PM

    Hi Wendi,I would like to wish you much luck in your job search.You are an awesomely talented individual and I am certain you will find your dream job or at least one that pays crazy cash,lol.I will be working some Trinidad/Brooklyn employment juju for you as well.Buena Suerte.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moving is definitely tough, but I'm glad to hear that you are adjusting well. (Although if I had a beach nearby,... I'd be adjusting well too!)
    Also glad to hear you have made contact with a local photographer... good luck with the wedding in May! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! I'm adjusting as well as I can. It's been a bit of an emotional ride but I'm working on it.

      Delete