Saturday, July 16, 2011

My Butch Haircut

I'm not exactly sure what it is about a fresh haircut that makes me feel so good.  Maybe it's because I feel neatly shaven and 'cleaned up', so to speak.  Or perhaps I feel like a 'nice looking young man', as my Grandmother once said after seeing me across the room in church on a Sunday morning and not realizing that it was me until I came over afterwords to give her a hug.  (That was a very entertaining moment.)

I do know for sure that I love a fresh shave because people love to rub my head just after it's done.  I turn to mush when a cute girl rubs my head.  A complete blob of 'I'll do anything you want if you just keep rubbing my head just like that'.  I have been known to thump my foot like a dog that gets scratched in just the right spot, too.  Mostly, someone rubbing my head is very relaxing to me and one of the reasons why I choose this type of cut. 

Believe it or not, sometimes getting this type of cut is quite difficult as a woman.  I have yet to venture to a local barber shop that a few of my buddies say is awesome about it but I did find a shop that I've been happy with for the past few years.  It's a Supercuts but I've come to know a few of the stylists there so it's a comfortable shop for me. 

Today was a little different.  Today I laid my trust, and my hair, in the hands of someone new.  She was very nice and introduced herself then asked me how I wanted my hair cut.  I told her that I'd like a men's fade and that I normally start with a #1 (the guards you put on the clippers are numbered 1 to 8 with 1 being the shortest) but this time I wanted to go with a 0, which basically means no guard.  She stepped back for a moment then said, "So you want to see skin."  This made me even more nervous because I thought she was about to try and talk me out of it.  Sometimes even if they don't try and talk me out of it they'll cut my hair the way they think it should be cut and not the way I asked for it.  Thankfully, that was not the case but it still took her a minute or two to get used to the idea that yes, I am a woman and yes, I do want a man's cut. 

Fortunately, after a bit of chatting and a lot of buzzing, she gave me one of the better cuts that I've had in a while and I'm very happy with it.  This evening I'm feeling very dapper and strong with my fresh butch cut.  So strong that I stopped off at Fred Meyer's and went directly to the bra section and picked out a couple new bras.  Stares be damned! 

How's that for a haircut?!

6 comments:

  1. I haven't ventured to a barber shop, but I also don't feel compelled to at this point. I have an incredible stylist at gay-owned salon, and she always listens to what I want. PLUS she gives me a kickass scalp and shoulder massage, which is a nice perk. But haircut day is definitely one of my favorite days of the month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tlynnwolf, thanks! (:

    G, wow! I can certainly see why it's one of your favorite days of the month. I would probably go in more often then that if I was getting a scalp and shoulder massage! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great, Wendi! Awesome confidence boost that led to bra shopping... :-)

    ReplyDelete