Saturday, May 4, 2013

Here We Go!


Waiting for my first flight for the 13 cities, 22 photo shoots in 9 days tour! Getting through security at the Portland airport was a breeze and everyone is so happy and friendly. That was a nice start to my trip! Plus, it calmed the nerves a bit. Not totally, but a bit. I'm what you might call a nervous traveler. But, by the time I get to the end of the week, I'll be an old pro at this.

I'll do my best to keep everyone updated here on the blog. Stay tuned for the adventure!

Here are my notes from the sky.

I'm on my first long distance trip for the project today and for the next 8 days. Salt Lake City, Denver, Waukesha (WI), Chicago, Ferndale (Mi), Toronto, Mohawk (NY), niagara Falls, Long Island, Long Branch (NJ), Florence (MA), Worcester (MA), and Boston. Twenty two photo shoots in 9 days.

The awesomeness of exactly what I've done and what I'm now doing hit me when the plane I'm sitting in started down the runway for take off. The reality of it became so real that it brought tears to my eyes. Wow. I have so few of those moments because I'm so embedded doing the work. The organization of it, creating the Kickstarter, travel plans, coordinating with participants, doing the shoots, editing the photos, building the web site, keeping the Facebook page updated, the blog updated, reading through participant responses, keeping responses and photos organized, answering emails and keeping my artistic integrity in check. There is so much involved with the shoots, too. I have a very short period of time to connect with participants and capture the essence of them. It takes a lot out of me. I have to stay open and take it all in. Focus on them and the surroundings without interruptions. That's a difficult task with everything else I have going on in my head.

I'm grateful to the muses for giving me this project. So very grateful to them for pestering me with it for so long. It needed to be done. For so many reasons. To start conversations and to help others find a sense of belonging.

I can do this. I want to do this. I will give it my all.


6 comments: