Friday, May 10, 2013

Waukesha, Roscoe, Ferndale, Toronto, Herkimer, Niagara Falls and Long Island

Participants from Ferndale and me.
It's almost 10pm in New York and I should be going to bed due to an early alarm to get up and drive to Long Branch, New Jersey then up into Massachusetts tomorrow but I just realized that I haven't updated since Denver and this may be my only chance until I get to Boston Logan Sunday afternoon.

This trip has been incredibly awesome. As exhausted as I am, looking through the photos of all of the amazing butches and femmes makes every ounce of that exhaustion worth it. I can't express enough gratitude to those who helped make this happen.

Over the course of this trip I've met the most amazing people, had inspiring conversations, been gifted soaps, candles, donations and very sweet thank you cards. I've also been to places I've never been before, and may have never have seen had I not started this project. Plus, I got to see friends I haven't seen in years and one I've known only online until now. But it was like we were friends who hadn't seen each other in years, as well.

Needless to say, I'm feeling very blessed.

Waukesha (WI) is adorable. Roscoe (IL) is beautiful country and farmland. Ferndale is the gay mecca of Michigan (did you know?!). Toronto is a huge city surrounded by beautiful country side and lakes. Herkimer (NY) is also adorable. Lots of old buildings. Niagara Falls is a tourist town these days. I learned quite a bit of history of the town from someone who grew up there, which sheds a different light on things. Much like the reality of Las Vegas and how poor a city it really is. The falls were beautiful and it was nice to be there during the off season so I didn't have to fight people to see them.

The drive from Niagara Falls to Long Island was, well, long. Eight and a half hours long to be exact. But, Long Island is nothing like I thought it would be. It's very country/coastal here, which is nice in my opinion. The couples that I photographed here like it but seem to miss being in the city a bit.

Part of me wishes I had time to do the touristy things in the places where I've been and am going but, when it comes to New York or Toronto, I'd much rather fly in and let the transportation system or the cabbies do the driving for me. It's worth the lower stress levels to me. There are a lot of people in downtown Toronto and I can only imagine that it must be pretty similar in downtown NYC. Which is awesome and at the same time overwhelming for me. But, my itinerary is packed this trip. So much so that I pretty much pass out as soon as I get into my hotel room. 

Which is what I need to do now. Pass out. But, know that I will be writing more about this trip!

2 comments:

  1. I've done the drive from Buffalo to Atlantic City so I can just imagine the drive from Niagara Falls to Long Island. Did you get the chance to hang out in Buffalo a bit while you were out this way? Lots of great people and great food!

    Enjoy the rest of your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I didn't spend any time in Buffalo while I was there. I do hope to get back, though. It's the city my Dad was born in.

      Thanks! It was a pretty amazing trip!

      Delete