Monday, March 3, 2014

Excited About Running?


After taking the day off from exercising on Saturday, I ran/walked 2.2 miles, did 55 crunches, 16 push ups and about a 25 second plank last night. A couple hours later I was pretty uncomfortable and my knees were very stiff. There was a bit of swelling in both of them so I became a bit concerned. Getting on the treadmill has become the highlight of my day and I really don't want to stop now.

Last night I began to think that I might have to stop. Thankfully, this morning I was moving around just fine and the stiffness has subsided so I'm going to push forward with it. I think the muscles around my knees are finally getting some strength back so it's going to be uncomfortable for a bit.

In the meantime, I started looking into a new pair of running shoes and found this pair. The reviews on Zappo say they're good for heavier runners with bad knees. Perfect. I ordered them. As much as it pains me to pay more then $35 for a pair of shoes for myself. (Yeah, I know.)

Where this excitement over running has come from has been a bit of a mystery to me. Other then being excited about being able to do something I haven't been able to do for a while nor did I ever think I'd be able to do again. Other than that, I've never been much of a runner.

Then this morning, my Mom sends me a text message telling me that she used me as an example yesterday in her talk at church (she's a minister). She said that my workouts, specially running on the treadmill, are about running toward what I desire rather than staying in a place that keeps me mired in what is no longer working.

Mystery solved. There's where the excitement is coming from.

Brilliant woman, my Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment