Monday, March 5, 2012

Photography Passions

I feel like I finally made a breakthrough around my photography.  Lately, I feel much more confident around it and I can feel the flames of my passion for it burning at an intense heat. 

I've spent days poring over photos on the internet, reading tips and "how to"s, learning how to be more in control of the shots I take by learning the technical aspects of my camera, watching YouTube videos on all kinds of lighting, and organizing my photos.  I finally purchased Adobe Lightroom and am learning the ins and outs of it, as well.

A couple of weeks ago I sent out an email to all of my friends in the area asking if they would be willing to model for me, let me take photos of their family, portraits of them or whatever they were wanting to do over the next six months so that I can work on taking more photographs of people.  It's a part of photography that I haven't worked on much and I am finding that I am much more interested in it these days.  What better way to learn how to do it then by just doing it?  So, I'm just going to jump into the fire and learn, learn, learn.  Thankfully, I have a lot of wonderful friends who are willing to help me out.  So far I've got head shots, family and baby photos, and engagement photos to do!

This past weekend I spent an evening photographing at the Hip Chicks Winery here in Portland. Saturday night was their wine club party and I was asked to take some photos of their event space during the party.  I had a great time doing it and didn't feel my normal shyness about wondering around taking photos of the people and the space.  At one point during the evening, one of the guests stopped to ask me if I was a professional.  I told him that it's more of a hobby and passion of mine but I don't earn a living doing it, unfortunately.  He told me that he was in the video end of the business for many years then complemented me in a round about way by saying he was watching me do non-professional things like not taking every shot from eye level.  I told him that I liked to get different perspectives on things.  He said that was a very good thing and to keep it up.  I smiled and said, "I will!  Thank you!"  The compliment felt good and was a definite boost to my confidence. 

One of the other aspects of photography that I really enjoy is macro photography.  Since I am unable to afford a macro lens at the moment, I purchased some macro filters for my kit lens.  It's certainly not the same as having a macro lens but it's an alternative to the cost.  I'd like to try and do a series of shots titled "Patterns In Nature" for a show I'll be doing in May at the Hip Chicks Wine Tasting Room in Newberg, Oregon so this weekend I played with them for a bit. 


The Crocuses are blooming at my girlfriend's house so they were my test subjects. How cool is it that I can now watermark my photos, too?!

Needless to say, I'm feeling a bit obsessed lately about my "new found" passion for photography. Hence the reason why you haven't seen me around for a bit.  It's for a very good reason.  Hopefully, you'll be seeing more of my photographs soon! 

7 comments:

  1. Awesomeness! I look forward to seeing more photos :) Gorgeous Crocus shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I would love to learn how to watermark my photos... beautiful flowers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep havin' fun!! Lovely photo...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, everyone! Just Two Chicks, Lightroom makes it really easy to do and once you set it up it's just a matter of clicking on a drop down box! The program is very user friendly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the moment when a hobby becomes much more...becomes a passion. very excited to see more of your work!

    ReplyDelete