Saturday, January 28, 2012

Day 14 of The Reboot - Almost Done!

I've made it to day 14!  Last night my girl and I were talking about the day we sat down to look at the reboot programs and decide which one to do.  I remember thinking, "Fifteen days isn't all that long."  Let me tell ya, fifteen days turned out to be quite a long time.  When it's about food and attachments to it, it's a very long time indeed.  I didn't think I had the will power to make it when I was in the middle of it, but, taking on the perspective of "I've made it this far, I can do this" has really helped.  You have to stay positive through it and have little reminders of why you're embarking on this journey. 

I'll be honest, the last couple of days for me have been rough.  There's been a lot of stress in my life around work and finances and it's made me want to reach for comfort food.  Comfort food, for me, feels like a nice, warm, loving hug from myself even if it's terrible food for my body. 

I have been listening to my body more these days and have discovered that I actually do need a bit more protein in my diet in order to really feel healthy.  Despite drinking plenty of water, I've had dark circles under my eyes during a good part of this and decided to deviate from the menu a bit in order to get a bit more protein.  On day 12 I scramble a couple of eggs and have been doing that for the last couple of days.  Just 2 eggs a day in the morning with my fruit and it's helped tremendously.  I wonder if the couple of years I spent playing football and packing in the protein has changed my body's need for protein. 

We have deviated from the menus a bit during this process mainly because of left overs (there's a lot!) but also because there are a few recipes that we didn't exactly care for.  But, we've stuck with the recipes within the plan whenever we've changed things.  We've still lost weight and we still feel good so it seems as though you don't have to be strict and stick with the meal plan as stated for each individual day, which is fantastic in my eyes. 

The one thing about the program is that it takes some meal planning and cooking.  It seems as though my girl and I have spent the majority of our time these last 14 days either putting together our grocery list, shopping, washing, chopping, juicing or cooking all of our meals.  With both of us working, we have to plan ahead for lunches and dinners, as well.  It takes some time but it also helps you to see just how important it is to feed your body good things.  Preparing your meals should be seen as an act of love towards yourself.  You're giving your body what it needs to live and thrive.  It's an act of self love. 

Going forward I am going to change the portions on my plate at every meal in order to add more fruits and vegetables to my diet.  Before the reboot the portions on my plate were roughly 50% protein, 25% vegetables and 25% starch.  After the reboot my portions will be 50% fruits/vegetables, 25% protein and 25% starch.  It's a much more healthier way of feeding my body.  I feel really good about this.

Here's to a healthier me!

3 comments:

  1. I like the idea that preparing your own meals is an act of self love. I totally agree. This was the first week in a long time that I prepared all but one of my meals - and that one was just to pick up some pre-cooked chicken to add to salads and tacos. It has felt really good to take care of myself in this way this past week.

    Congrats on almost finishing the reboot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work! What better way to love yourself then to give yourself nutritious food!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats!!!! I like your percentage-on-the-plate thing very much. Food for thought...

    ReplyDelete