Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Family

Try as I might, some days just feel a bit melancholy to me.  Today was one of those days.  On days like this nothing bad has to happen, I just seem to wake up with thoughts that carry over from dreams or feelings of missing those who are no longer here or still here yet no longer in my life for one reason or another.  

The good thing about days like this is I usually get a good poem out of them.  It seems to flow fairly easily after sitting still for just a moment and completely feeling the emotions.  My meditation this morning consisted of sitting on the futon with a cup of coffee.  Not what you would normally consider meditation but the fact is, you can meditate doing pretty much anything.  Well, Zen meditation, at least.  The practice of being present. 

After finishing my coffee (first cup) I opened the laptop, brought up a new document in Word and before I knew it there was a new poem on the page.  When it happens like that I feel as if I can write forever.  The words flow, the cadence flows and the Gods and Goddesses of Creativity shine down upon me.  It’s, quite honestly, a spiritual experience. 

For this experience alone, I am grateful for the melancholy.  It doesn’t end there, though.  On days like this I also think about my life here in Portland and how many amazing people I am blessed to call my friend.  People whom I consider my family.  My beautiful family supports me in all of my crazy ideas and activities, helps me to be a better person, calls me on my shit and loves me for who I am. 

Even if we are not a part of each other’s daily life, we know we can count on one another.  Unconditionally.  Mere words couldn’t even begin to explain to you just how blessed I feel from my connections to these wonderful and amazing people.  I came to Portland in 2002 from Ashland, Oregon.  It was a move that was incredibly difficult for me and, to be honest, I came here kicking and screaming.  Now I am grateful for that move and for all of the blessings and the expansion of my family that it has brought to my life. 

I spent some time tonight with my beautiful Goddaughter, Dania Grace.  It was a perfect ending for a day like today.  Through her 2 year-old eyes I see life as a gift and the joy in everything from a noodle to a bunny.  I love this little girl.  I can’t wait to see what she’s been put here on this Earth to do. 


© 2010 Wendi Kali

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for loving Dania Grace... she loves you so much too. We all do really, she is just better at honost/raw expressions of love. We should all learn from her to be so present and so smitten with the world we live in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks a perfect, precious angel. When we are wise, we look into their eyes and pay attention to each nuance of sense and emotion that they express for in so doing, we connect with the vibrancy of the Universe. Two is such a great age....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed. She reminds me of greater things in life. Much simpler things that we tend to forget about as we get older.

    ReplyDelete